City Manager Talks Cambridge Emergency Shelter, Discourages Street Closures in Council Meeting

On Leave Due to COVID-19 Concerns, Forty-Three Harvard Dining Workers Risk Going Without Pay

Harvard Prohibits Non-Essential University Travel Until May 31, International Travel Cancelled Until August 31

Ivy League Will Not Allow Athletes to Compete as Grad Students Despite Shortened Spring Season

‘There’s No Playbook’: Massachusetts Political Campaigns Navigate a New Coronavirus Reality

Alumnus DiCara Enters Race for State Treasurer

Lawrence S. DiCara '71, president of the Boston City Council, yesterday announced his candidacy for Massachusetts state treasurer. DiCara plans to run against incumbent Robert Q. Crane in the Democratic primary in September.

DiCara said yesterday he is running for treasurer "because the inefficient and archaic practices of the current administration have cost the people of this state tens of millions of dollars."

Five Harvard undergraduates are working on the campaign: Mark Roosevelt '79, campaign manager; Jonathan H. Alter '79, press secretary; Dewitt C. Jones '79, issues adviser; Pierce Cray '79, finance committee member; and Peter Slavin '79, field coordinator.

Slavin, who met DiCara in 1976, said he was impressed with him and volunteered to be his field coordinator for the fifth, sixth and seventh congressional districts. Slavin said yesterday that politics is a "fun game to play but its too much of a game to make a career out of."

DiCara holds degrees from Suffolk Law School and the Kennedy School of Government. He has worked recently with the Robert F. Kennedy Action Corps community projects.