Class of '81 Reacts Favorably To Results of Housing Lottery

Despite the disappointment of some freshmen, most of the class of 1981 reacted favorably to housing assignments received yesterday afternoon.

Thomas A. Dingman '67, assistant to the dean of the College, who was in charge of the housing lottery this year, said he was very pleased with the results. He added that, "Although there has been some disappointment, I really haven't heard too many complaints."

Dingman stressed that if someone is unhappy with their House there is really nothing that can be done until next year. He has encouraged students who are unhappy to come in and talk with him.

Many students said they tried to "beat the system" by chosing houses they believed would not be very popular. As a result, various river houses had openings in the random pool.

Samuel C. Watkins '81, who was assigned to Kirkland House in the random pool, said, "I was very surprised. Things could have been a lot worse."

However, some students expressed dissatisfaction with their assignments. Margerie L. Solomon '81 said, "I was in Greenough this year, next year I'm going to be in South House. What a way to see Harvard."

Students who did not get into their first three choices were placed into the random pool, consisting of Houses not filled by the first part of the lottery. Students in the random pool received assignments through new lottery numbers in a process that ranks the Houses in alphabetical order.

On the whole, students said they were satisfied with the system. Even those who did not get one of their three choices said that there was really no other fair method. Daniel W. Algrant '81 said, "It shouldn't be such a big deal. People get too worried."