Vorenberg Pleased With New Position At the Law School

By Harry Litman

"I guess I see my role as being catalytic, working with members of the faculty to try to anticipate the school's needs," James W. Vorenberg '49, the newly-appointed associate dean of the Law School, said yesterday.

Vorenberg, who announced last December that he and his wife will end their term as Dunster House co-masters in June, was hired in Feburary, primarily to help with developing curriculum and longrange academic planning.

He is the third associate dean at the Law School, joining Robert E. Keeton, Langdell Professor of Law and Jerome A. Cohen, professor of Law.

Keeton said yesterday Vorenberg was appointed to "increase our administrative resources." The Committee of Legal Education, which handled all questions on curriculum, has been overburdened in the last few years, prompting the decision to name another associate dean.

When Vorenberg announced his intention to resign as master of Dunster House, he cited a "need to return to a more private life." He nevertheless decided to accept the associate deanship because "I was impressed with the need and opportunity to be useful at the Law School."

Vorenberg added he did not expect to receive the Law School position when he made his decision to leave Dunster.

Vorenberg, who is also a professor of Law, will not cut down on his course load as a result of the post. His new responsibilities may force him to reduce his research work, he said.