The Constitution: Republican Resigns

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I have just finished reading a handbill containing the Republican Club's jejeune objections to the proposed Harvard Student Association. I am frankly appalled that that less than august body has adopted such a babyish posture regarding such a positive step towards the creation of a viable fabric of undergraduate community.

The Club's leaders seem to have read the proposed constitution quite selectively. They know exactly what their objections are to the section on minority representation; and they have combed the section on finances so carefully as to include ramifications which are not even explicit in the wording. But the statement in the handbill that "(o)nce the government assumes power it will be impossible to change" displays a shocking ignorance of the section on amendment. Furthermore, the handbill's exhortation to "(v)ote NO this week, and then work for a new government" is a wonderfully ingenious dismissal of the Convention's stated intention not to try again. Are we to assume that the Republican Club will take up the banner? Does the student body want a government drafted by the Republican Club? I suggest that the Club change its stance to one of advocacy of passage for the constitution; and then take advantage of that marvelous amendment provision to deal with any desired changes.

I have resigned from the Harvard Republican Club, as a prelude to my affirmative vote for the constitution. --Frederick R. Coburn Jr. '80