Women Today: Ephron Reflects

By Janet S. Walker

"Many men learned to clear the table, and hope that people will get off their backs," Nora Ephron said last night in her "Reflections on Women Today," a talk sponsored by Schlesinger Library.

Ephron, a columnist for "Esquire" and author of several books of essays about the media, addressed her remarks on the current state of the women's movement to a crowd of about 300 in Agassiz Theater.

Ephron said, "It all looked easier than it turned out to be. To change fundamentally is much harder than just getting a divorce or a job," she said.

"The greatest achievement of the movement is that women found that they were able to trust and love each other, but if that is based on a contempt for men, I don't think we have moved forward," she said.

Ephron observed that the women's movement has deeply affected women in college today. "Women in my class had marriage as a goal, now college women are career oriented. The right job is a better obsession than the right man," she said.

The movement has produced some bad side effects, however, Ephron said. "Lines like 'I can't get a better job, because men run everything,' are part of the political rhetoric which the movement has provided to give women an excuse to stay put," she added