Vance Visits Saudi Arabia; West Bank Jews Are Evicted

Jews Fight Jews

TEL AVIV--Jews fought Jews yesterday, as Israeli troops forcibly evicted unauthorized settlers on the West Bank of the Jordan River who are protesting the Camp David accords.

Fistfights broke out when soldiers began to evacuate 250 members of the ultranationalist Gush Emunim movement from their camp by carrying them down the steep rocky slopes. Israeli radio reported at least fourteen injuries occurred in the raid.

"Our people will not go by themselves," Zvi Slomin, a spokesman for the settlers, said. "Our main bloc of 250 people is standing together hand to hand."

About 100 settlers moved into the camp last Tuesday to protest concessions made by Prime Minister Menachem Begin at the Mideast summit. The Israeli Army ordered the group to evacuate and surrounded the site, but more sympathizers slipped into the settlement.

The settlers claim a God-given right to settle anywhere in the West Bank, the biblical land of Israel. They say a proposed Israeli evacuation to Sinai settlements could set a precedent for the dismantling of Israel's 50 settlements in the West Bank.

Begin tentatively agreed to the evacuation of the Sinai settlements at Camp David, and the Israeli parliament has two weeks to ratify the proposal. Sadat said Egypt will not sign a peace treaty with Israel until the settlements are gone.

Parliament members from Begin's own party and several nationalist groups said yesterday they vowed to support Jews settling in their ancient homeland in the West Bank.