Welsh Back; Frosh Play

Soccer Notebook

By John Donley

For those of you who may have missed Saturday's home soccer opener, Kevin Welsh has returned to help George Ford out coaching the men's soccer team. Welsh played for the NASL's New England Tea Men this past summer, and his status had been doubtful... Ford is as disappointed as anyone about the team's poor showing so far. After yesterday's loss, he declined to talk to reporters, saying, "I DON'T WANT TO TALK NOW."

Super forward Lee Nelson is paying the price for his 12-goal performance last year. Wesleyan fullback Alvin Peters marked Nelson man-to-man through all of yesterday's game--the third time in three games Lee has received special attention... Injuries continue to plague the team. Tommy Hsiao (sore knee) watched the game yesterday in his civvies, and sophomore wing Alberto Villar twisted an ankle in practice Monday to go along with his continuing sweat gland problem.

If nothing else, this year's squad is young. The roster lists only three seniors--captain Jimmy Langton, Hsiao and reserve forward Tony Ardilla... At one point in the Wesleyan game, five freshmen were in the lineup: fine wing Mauro Keller Sarmiento, back Robert Fritz, defender Peter Sergienko, Colombian forward Mike Mogollin and midfielder John Duggan.

Dave Eaton and Ron Ost have been reunited on the same team for the first time in four years. Eaton, a junior wing back from a leave of absence, and Ost, a sophomore back, last played together in the fall of '74 on Freedom, Pa., High School's team... Both that team and Jimmy Langton's State College team made the Pennsylvania state semifinals that year.