Congressmen Ask for New Library Name

Seven congressmen-elect have called for the renaming of the Engelhard Library of Public Affairs, in a letter to President Bok made public yesterday.

"We fear that the recognition of Engelhard at this particular time may be interpreted by the South African government and its supporters as an indication of official acceptance--or at least tolerance--of apartheid by major American institutions," the legislators wrote.

The seven congressmen-elect, all of whom attended a workshop for newly-elected legislators at the Institute of Politics in early December, wrote the letter to Bok on Dec. 15. Members of the Southern Africa Solidarity Committee (SASC) released the letter to the press yesterday.

Pony Express

President Bok said yesterday that because the letter was delivered during Christmas break, he had not yet had a chance to read it. Bok declined to comment on the letter until he has read it.

In the letter, the congressmen-elect said they do not want to intrude on the business of the Harvard community, but added they believe they "have standing to comment on the wider policy implications of naming the library for Engelhard."

Rep.-elect William R. Ratchford (D-Conn.) said yesterday that it is impossible to predict what effect, if any, the letter would have on any possible decision to rename the library. Ratchford added that he had not yet received an answer from Bok.

"But the issue is one that won't go away," said Ratchford. "There's a lot of support in Congress already for taking a stronger U.S. position against apartheid."

By taking steps such as divestiture of South African-related stock, Harvard could take a leadership role in the South Africa issue that would further influence national and international governments against apartheid, Ratchford added.

Rep. Mickey Leland (D-Tex.) had said before signing the letter that Harvard students could coordinate a student movement across the country that would influence Congress towards greater awareness of South Africa.

The group of freshmen Congressmen had offered to serve as a "base of support" in Congress for such a movement in a meeting last month with members of SASC.

Yesterday, however, Ratchford said he was not yet sure what steps he will be able to take on the apartheid issue, other than voting on foreign policy questions in Congress as they come up