Phone Overcharge

The New England Telephone Company charged some Hurlbut Hall residents $10 too much for telephone installation because of a clerical error, a spokesman for the telephone company said recently.

The phone company rewired Hurlbut telephones as part of a general renovation project before school began this fall.

The company agreed with the University to charge Hurlbut residents only a $15 fee and not penalize them for the renovation, Donald, Kerr, university telecommunications manager, said last week.

The phone bills of many students in Hurlbut, however, include an installation charge of $25.

"It should not have happened that way. The installation should be $15," Kerr said.

The phone company normally charges a $15 installation fee if the phone is already in the room and $25 if it is not.

The company will either credit the students for the overcharge or rebill them for the correct amount, Kerr added.

Theodore Allen '83 said Monday he is "relieved" he will not have to pay the extra $10. Alexandre Balkanski '83 called the mistake "absolutely disgusting."