Wittig on Lesbians

News Shorts

Monique Wittig, French feminist and author of "The Lesbian Body," last night called for "the destruction of heterosexuality," saying it is "a system of oppression."

A capacity crowd of about 300 jammed the Longfellow Hall auditorium to hear Wittig's lecture entitled "One is Not Born a Woman, One Becomes One."

Wittig said women should adopt a "lesbian consciousness" that rejects the "mythical concept of woman." She said that the concept of "womanhood" subjugates women to men, adding that to free themselves, women must "destroy all categories of sex."

The feminist movement is "entrapped in the bedrock of 'woman is wonderful,'" Wittig said.

Wittig said she advocates a "militant lesbian consciousness," and added, "I don't believe we can integrate ourselves into an economic, political, and social system that has already rejected us."

Lesbians, who have left behind their "dependence on men," must lead the fight to end the oppression of women. Wittig said that ultimately, men and women will "cease to have reality as classes" and a free lesbian community will exist.