B.U. Professors

UNIVERSITIES SHOULD, by their very nature, be strongholds of free thought and free expression, where neither students nor professors can be made to toe the line by an intolerant administration. Boston University (B.U.) is seeking to fire or suspend six tenured professors in an apparent effort to stifle activism and dissent at the university.

All six professors have been active in the faculty union or on faculty committees, and several have been strongly critical of B.U. President John R. Silber. There is little doubt that the proceedings against the professors are a cheap attempt at retribution and at intimidating the university community.

THE B.U. ADMINISTRATION claims the professors should be disciplined because they violated their contracts. Five of the professors held classes off-campus or made them up later, rather than cross picket lines of striking clerical workers for a few days at the beginning of this term. The sixth professor is charged with using correspondence to the university for his own purposes.

It is ludicrous to contend, as the administration does, that this constitutes "gross neglect of duties or other just cause," as is required in the faculty contract for firing professors. Such a stance by the university only serves to inflame tensions and provoke hostilities. Moreover, it is but one more example of the recalcitrance, intolerance, and mismanagement that has characterized Silber's administration. We urge B.U. to step back from this affront to academic freedom and to drop proceedings against the professors.