Cambridge Student Voting Guide

Students living in Harvard dorms and registered to vote in Cambridge are spread across eight city precincts. Below is a list of precincts and polling places. Polls will open at 8 a.m. today and stay open until 8 p.m.

Ward 6, Precinct 3--Residents of Adams House, Apley Court Claverly--Hall, Divinity Hall, Eliot House, Hastings Hall, Kirkland House, Leverett House entries A-E. Lowell House, Quincy House, Winthrop House, and all freshman dorms vote at the firehouse near memorial Hall. Use the Broadway St. entrance.

Ward 6, Precinct 4--Residents of Dunster House. Leverett House entries F and G, and Mather House vote at the recreation building in the Corporal Burns playground just off Banks St.

Ward 7, Precinct 5--Residents of Currier House. North House and South House (with the exceptions in Ward 8, Precinct 3 below) vote at the Peabody School on Walker St. Use the playground entrance.

Ward 7, Precinct 1--Residents of graduate dorms Ames Hall, Child Hall, Dane Hall, Holmes Hall, Perkins Hall, Richard Hall, Shaw Hall, Story Hall and Wyeth Hall vote at the Agassiz Elementary School, at the corner of Sacramento and Oxford Streets.

Ward 7, Precinct 2--Residents of Conant and Rockefeller Hall also vote at the Agassiz Elementary School.

Ward 8, Precinct 5--Residents of 29 Garden St., 20 Walker St., Shepherd House, 60 Walker St. and Coggeshall vote at the Harvard-Epworth Methodist Church.

Ward 8, Precinct 3--Residents of Lawrence Hall vote at the Congregational Church at the corner of Garden and Mason Streets. Use the Mason St. entrance.

Ward 8. Precinct 4--Residents of Cronkhite Hall vote at the Parish House at 3 Church St.

There are 23 candidates for city council and 12 for school committee. Rank candidates in order of preference. Do not use X marks.

In an oversight, The Crimson omitted the profile on one candidate for the council from yesterday's supplement.

Alvin Thompson, running with the endorsement of the Cambridge Civic Association, has endorsed continued rent controls, and called for the beefing up of the Rent Board staff to handle cases more quickly.

A challenger in the race, Thompson announced his support for increased funding for home care for the elderly sick and for increased police protection.

"My intention is to devise an economic development program to encourage existing businesses to remain and to induce new business to relocate in Cambridge," Thomson says, adding that he supports "short term economic incentives to new businesses."

Thompson also supports "generating private and federal funds to develop job training programs" for young adults who have "dropped out of school and turned off from society."

An assistant to the Cambridge City Manager for Community Relations, Thompson is also president of the Cambridge Chapter of the NAACP. He graduated from Roxbury Community College, and has worked in the Harvard Extension Program.