Police, City to Negotiate New Contract

City Manager Decries Police Demands

Cambridge Police Department representatives will meet tomorrow with city bargainers to begin negotiations on a new contract which could cost the city close to $3 million.

Negotiators for the police will ask for cost-of-living raises and increases in fringe benefits which could entitle patrolmen to as much as $36,000 a year.

"The request of the police union can only be classified as outrageous," City Manager James L. Sullivan said yesterday, adding the Cambridge Police Department is "the highest paid department around."

Less is More

Sullivan called for a moratorium on wage increases in the fiscally strapped city, adding that if the city meets the police demands, it might encourage other city employees to ask for pay hikes.

Watch Out

"There should definitely be more serious consideration on the part of the police concerning the after-effects of the proposed increase," Sullivan said.

"We were able, this year, to survive the governor's 4-per-cent spending cap without laying off city employees," he added.

The tax cap imposed by Massachusetts Gov. Edward J. King last spring limited municipal spending increases to 4 per cent. Taxes did not rise in Cambridge last year.

Patrolman Joseph Bellissimo, president of the Policeman's Association, refused to comment on Sullivan's position.

The police proposal, submitted to the city Monday, calls for increases in pay for night, weekend and hazardous duty.

Bare Coffers

City councilors attacked the police budget request at a meeting Monday night, charging that the force did not provide adequate protection.

"If they can apend $3 million on wages, I can ask for $3 million for new foot patrolmen." Councilor Alfred F. Vellucci said.

The present police contract expires June 30, 1980.