Racquetmen Submarine Middies, 9-0

Face Princeton Today

The Harvard men's squash team kept its perfect record intact by drowning Navy 9-0 in Annapolis, Md. yesterday.

The 5-0 racquetmen face their sternest test of the season today when they meet Princeton in a match that will likely determine the Ivy League champion.

Number one player Mike Desaulniers, who has been bothered of late by a sore foot, romped to a 15-11, 15-8, 15-10 win over Midshipman Jeff Carlson.

Desaulniers will abandon the squash court in favor of the operating table on Monday, but not before he plays Princeton's Frank Brosens in today's crucial contest. Navy's Carlson defeated Tiger captain Brosens earlier this season.

Harvard captain John Havens disposed of second-ranked midshipman John Wall 3-1 despite dropping the opening game of the battle. The Crimson's Mitch Reese also staged a comeback in the third spot, edging Dave Maceslin 3-2 after being down two games to one.

Racquetman John Stubbs, playing in the third position, submerged opponent Rob Keller, 3-0. Number six Chuck Elliot and number nine John Heller also registered clean sweeps, never allowing their adversaries to get their heads above water.

An odd incident marked the first game of fifth-ranked George Bell's match. With the struggle knotted at 17-all, Bell hit a rail shot and obstructed Navy's Bill Steinweddell. The Midshipman made a gesture but failed to say "let", so Bell was awarded the point and the game.

The joust seesawed until Bell eventually triumphed 15-13 in the fifth and decisive game.

Titanic Struggle

Jeff Secrest gave the Crimson a victory in the seventh slot, dumping Bill Bastian 3-1 in a tight match. John Fishwick notched another 3-1 win in the number eight category.

"The Harvard team seems to be in better shape this year," Navy coach Bob Bayliss said last night. "It's nice to play a team with class," he added. L.S.G.

The racquetmen will attempt to defeat Princeton today for the first time in three years. The convincing dunking of Navy bodes well for the Harvard nine, which needs to win the match in order to have any hope of capturing the national title.