Marius's Fiction

MORE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I find the ongoing controversy over fiction Expos both deeply disturbing and difficult to comprehend. The reasons for Mr. Marius's decision to cut Expos 13 and his alternative plans for Expos 18 strike me as misdirected actions to resolve a departmental conflict.

My experience with Diana Thomson's fiction class this fall stands above and beyond a whole multitude of highlights in what for me has been a very exciting and satisfying first year at Harvard. While immersing myself in extracurricular activities that included drama, work, and an active social life, I found little reason to give serious attention to my three other general education courses during the first half of the year. On the other hand, Mrs. Thomson made my first encounter with creative writing not only a learning experience, but also the only class in which I felt a real academic motivation to push myself.

After the first few class meetings of fiction I feared that my unknown abilities would stand in the shadows of the deservedly more recognized students whose first papers imparted a slight sense of awe to the entire class. But something turned around after those first few weeks, something I would have to attribute to Diana Thomson's warmth and encouragement as a friend as well as a teacher. My papers started to reflect me as a person and as a writer and I sensed a great deal more feeling and confidence with what I was doing in fiction. I gained more and more control as I went through the term, while continually receiving constructive criticism from Mrs. Thomson concerning my ideas and my writing skills. I know a consensus of the class would agree on the value of our fiction tutelage and the enhanced value a teacher as human as Mrs. Thomson can bring to the course.

I think Mr. Marius's criticism of the expository skills of fiction students can be dealt with through the current method of screening applicants to fiction Expos for evidence of previously established competence in these skills. I would willingly concede that reading short stories on the side also helped me a great deal, but Mrs. Thomson actively encouraged this anyway. I believe critical essays on these other works as would be required by Expos 18 are unnecessary and cannot but detract from the student's opportunity to develop his or her own writing style.

I was very happy with my progress as a writer in Expos 13, and consistently impressed with the abilities and criticisms of the other students in our class. I enjoy writing though I wouldn't say it's a skill that comes easily to me and I credit Mrs. Thomson's fine ability as a concerned teacher for successfully pushing me towards my limits as a writer. The present situation dismays me and I fear comes down to a clash of personalities rather than a solution to legitimate deficiencies in Expos. I hope possibility remains for a reversal of Mr. Marius's decision to cancel Expository writing 13 and lose as fine a teacher as Mrs. Thomson. Michael T. Cohen '82