Crimson Handball Star Shines in Early Match

Acosta Posts Easy Win

By Michelle D. Healy

Harvard handball star Danny Acosta beat Jim Hereford of the University of Texas yesterday 21-5, 21-4 to move into the quarterfinals of the NCAA championships being held this weekend in Austin, Texas.

The fifth-seeded Acosta held his opponent at bay from the start. Keeping the less experienced Hereford off balance with a reverse hook serve, Acosta also used the ceiling well, forcing Hereford into the back left corner.

"I had him under control from the beginning," Acosta said last night, adding, "He was intimidated."

Acosta will face the number-four seed Craig Burbuage, another member of the strong University of Texas team, today. The agile Burbuage scored an easy win yesterday and will give Acosta a tough match.

Bite

Acosta's powerful right hand allows him to use all four walls to capitalize on his velocity, and his keen shot anticipation should enable him to reach the difficult shots that the Texas star usually hits off the back wall.

In last year's championships, Acosta, a two-time all-American, finished fifth, a disappointment after being seeded in the top slot.

Go to Work, Kid

"If I can win my quarterfinal match against Burbuage, I think I can beat the number-one seed Carl Libis of a Cal State Northridge, in the semis," Acosta said last night, adding, "After that it could go either way in the final match."