Volleyball Team Falls in Semis To Springfield

Harvard's volleyball team traveled west this weekend to Springfield College to lock horns with more than 20 teams in the New England Volleyball Open, and the Crimson squad battled its way into the semifinals before losing to host Springfield in the semi-finals.

After grabbing top honors in a four-team round robin--Harvard beat Berkshire State and Providence, both by 2-1 scores, and tied Yale, 1-1, to compile the winning 5-1 record--the Crimson edged past Boston University, 15-11, in a one-game quarterfinal playoff.

Comeback

Harvard came back to outduel undefeated Springfield, 15-11, in the first of the three-game semifinal match; but the host team--which eventually went on to win the tourney with a sweep over Yale in the finals--snapped back and eliminated Harvard, 15-1 and 15-6.

Crimson co-captain Roger Martin and senior teammate Todd Tanaka were named to the New England first team (all-tournament squad).

The squad, currently funded as a club sport, has amassed a 3-1 record this season in New England Collegiate Volleyball League competition. Harvard's next major challenge will come April 1, when the team travels to the University of Pennsylvania for the Ivy Tournament.