Board Discusses Disco's Policy Of Admitting H-R Students Free

An attorney for Boston-Boston told the Boston Licensing Board (BLB) yesterday that because Harvard students are not a "separate racial or ethnic group," legal action against the disco because of its policy of offering free admission to Harvard students would not be justified.

But Jon C Straight, one of the board's three commissioners, said yesterday the Boston disco's policy "sets a poor precedent. The disco should treat all college students equally."

Straight added that if no applicable statute currently exists, he will propose a regulation to prohibit Boston-Boston's two-year-old admission policy.

John S. Keats, president of Advent Entertainment, which co-manages Boston-Boston, told the board yesterday the disco drops the cover charge for Harvard Students because "we're looking to upgrade the clientele."

Straight and Robert L. Arrington, another BLB commissioner, said they were concerned that students from Cambridge are offered free admission while Boston residents must pay.

In the Cards

"If a club is operated in the city of Boston, I would hope it would look to Boston people come first," Arrington told the board.

Straight said he feared other city discos may adopt free admission policies for Harvard students. "Now Club Max has followed suit, and since they all have to compete with each other, I'm afraid other discos might join in, "Straight said.

William C. Stephanos, a junior at Boston College and part-time security guard for Boston-Boston, said yesterday, "I can see the club's viewpoint. They're trying to attract a certain sort of people. But I figure that they should extend it to other schools."