Support Biko Fund

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

In response to recent questions concerning the efficacy of the Stephen Biko Memorial Fund, we feel it necessary to clarify its positive aspects.

The Class Committee envisioned three main goals in establishing the Biko Fund. First, it allows individuals who otherwise would not have contributed to make a positive statement against University investment policy. Second, the existence and support of the Fund will be a symbol of discontent and concern over the current situation in South Africa. Third, the Fund will provide direct support for the undergraduate education of black and colored South Africans at Harvard.

Due to Harvard's equal access policy, all students admitted receive the necessary aid to finance their education whether they be international or American students. The argument has been raised that the Biko Fund merely substitutes for money that would otherwise be forthcoming. However, the very existence of this Fund compels the Admissions Office to seek qualified recipients (once a minimum of $5000 has been raised). Therefore the Fund could induce the recruitment of a black South African who would otherwise not have matriculated.

We feel strongly that our support of the Biko Fund is in no way compromised by Harvard's equal access policy. Its many practical aspects remain and we continue to support its existence and viability. If next year's class matches our contribution of $2600, the Fund will have reached the needed $5000 to establish its legitimacy. We encourage the continued support of the Biko Fund. Aaron J. Alter '79   Harvard Marshal   Kathy P. Evans '79   Radcliffe Marshal