Nieman

By Monique A. Sullivan

President Bok has chosen four journalists and three Harvard professors to serve on a committee to select next year's Nieman Fellows.

Harvard will pick 12 American journalists to live and study here for nine months. The program is in its 43rd year.

The four newspapermen on the committee are Donald R. Wright, senior vice-president of The Minneapolis Star and Tribune; William R. Hillard, assistant managing editor of The Oregonian; John H. Nelson, Washington bureau chief for The Los Angeles Times; and Josephine D. Thomson, head of The New York Times' Miami and Caribbean bureaus.

The faculty members are Gerald Holton, Mallinckrodt Professor of Physics; Lance Liebman, professor of Law; and Emily D. T. Vermeule, Zemurray-Stone Radcliffe Professor.

Nieman curator James C. Thomson, Jr. traditionally chairs the selection committee. Agnes Wahl Nieman established the fellowships in 1938 in memory of her husband, Lucius W. Nieman, founder of The Milwaukee Journal.

The current class of Nieman fellows includes 12 American journalists and six fellows from foreign countries, who are chosen by a separate committee.