Wind Damages Section of Roof On New Bright Hockey Center

The recently opened Alexander H. Bright Hockey Center suffered minor external damage on December 17 when high winds blew off a section of the facility's outer roof.

The Crash of '79

About one-fourth of the roof's metal sheathing, installed as part of the $2.3 million renovation of Watson Rink to cover the permanent structure underneath, became detached during the incident, August Sartucci, project manager, said yesterday.

Still Safe

The building is still completely safe and usable, he said, adding, "Right now the important thing is to find out what the hell went wrong."

Harvard officials said they cannot estimate the cost for repairing the roof until they determine whether additional work will be necessary to prevent similar occurences in the future.

No one was injured by the debris, which included styrofoam insulation underneath the sheathing, but Buildings and Grounds Department officials closed off the area for several hours as a precaution.

Check It Out

Sartucci said a firm contacted by Harvard, as well as the Turner Construction Company, which handled most of the renovation of Watson, are investigating the matter. Turner officials refused comment yesterday.