Horner Denies Funds for Rape Center

Expresses Verbal Support for March

By Sara J. Nicholas

President Horner earlier this week declined to provide funds for Cambridge's Rape Crisis Center for the organization's "Take Back the Night" march through the University campus, slated for November 8.

In a meeting with representatives of the center Monday, Horner expressed verbal support for the march, but said she did not think it appropriate for Radcliffe to help fund the project.

"She said it was a good idea, but didn't feel the College should pay for it," Peggy Mason '82, a member of the Center, said this week, adding that she thought the meeting proved only partially successful.

Horner said this week, "The funds that I have cannot be spent for these kinds of things," listing student projects, building improvements, and the creative arts as more suitable areas for Radcliffe funding.

Interests

Referring to the march, Horner added, "I don't think it solves the problem, but if it serves to bring attention to how strongly people feel about it, then I have no objection by any means."

The Center plans to contact Saul L. Chafin, chief of University police, and Cambridge police in order to obtain permits for the march.

Today members of the center will meet with Archie C. Epps III to seek official approval for the march from the University.

The center, a volunteer counseling organization located in Central Square and composed primarily of working women in health and social work fields, helped organize a similar march earlier this summer through the streets of downtown Boston.