Science B-16 Students Found Cheating

Thirteen Receive Zeros on Midterm

By Janet F. Fifer

Thirteen students in Science B-16, "The History of the Earth and of Life," recieved zeros on the take-home midterm because of cheating, a teaching fellow in the course said yesterday.

"It was easy to spot when we were grading the exam," section leader Gayle Lux said yesterday. "We couldn't overlook it because it would have affected those who took it fairly," she added.

Several students said Stephen J. Gould, professor of Geology, announced the incident yesterday during class.

Gould declined official comment on the issue last night.

Dean Fox said yesterday that he had not been officially notified of the incident. He added that if a faculty member believes cheating has occured, he should report it to the senior tutor, who then reports it to the Administrative Board.

Out of His Hands

"Both perceptions of the Faculty member and students as well as relevant information is then considered," Fox said, adding, "The Faculty member may not handle it himself."

Approximately 130 students in the course took the test between October 29 and 31.

Mourning

"Cheating wasn't necessary because it wasn't a difficult exam," Lux said. She added, "I hate to see it in a school like this."

One student quoted Gould as saying in class yesterday that too many people are involved for it to remain unknown. He added that Gould told the class that he would follow any instructions he receives from the administration but would take no further action himself.

Another student added that Gould said the failing grade should not jeopardize anyone's chances of passing the course, or even of passing with a good grade.

"Gould wanted to protect students without actually blowing the whole thing," Lux said.

One student who asked not to be identified said, "It was difficult exam, and it was conducive for people to sit around and talk about it." She added, "I can't imagine people being that stupid."