About Big-Timer Hughes and Blue-Line Blues

More B.S.

By Bruce Schoenfeld

Just when it seems you've left your old crowd behind for good, a familiar face pops up to remind you how small the world really is.

Jack Hughes and Jim Craig. A couple of Boston-area kids who got to know each other during some memorable college hockey games a few years back. Hughes played defense for Harvard, and Craig tended the Boston University goal like few

The two battled at hallowed Walter Brown Arena, where the ghosts of champions past gave the Terriers a seventh man on ice--sort of a perpetual power play.

Rah

They battled at Watson Rink, the ramshackle ice palace that Crimson icemen called their own until the vagabond season of '78-'79 that made Walter Brown the home address for both clubs.

Most memorably, they battled at Boston Garden in a trilogy of Beanpot excitement. On Valentine's Day, 1977, Hughes--then a freshman--helped Harvard upset the Terriers after seven consecutive losses over a three-year span with a game-tying goal. On March 2, 1978, Craig kicked away 29 shots in a 7-1 laugher. And on February 5, 1979, the two met for the last time, B.U. bringing home a 4-2 victory on the way to its 11th Beanpot title.

Craig is back on Garden ice all the time these days--as goalie for the Bruins. And when the Colorado Rockies cruised into town last week in fancy, four-color uniforms, who showed up to grin at the former Terrier from left defense but his old buddy, Hughes.

The road to the top has been tougher for Hughes, and while Craig was winning the gold medal and the hearts of millions of Americans at Lake Placid, the Somerville native was riding buses in the Central Hockey League.

"I've had a couple of tough years," Hughes said in the Rockies' locker room after Thursday's game. "I always knew I could play, but things weren't going right." The last cut on the Olympic team, he seemed destined to play out a minor league career until a sparkling training camp brought him to the big time.

"I got a break this year--the management and coaches liked me," he said. "I'm very happy to be here, and it's great to be playing against Jim Craig."

Hughes hasn't completely overcome that streak of bad luck. Orthoscopic surgery on his knee sidelined him for nine games, and in the 4-2 loss to the Bruins--his first game back--the lack of mobility hurt his play.

But knowing Jackie Hughes, it won't keep him down. "I think (Colorado Coach) Billy (MacMillan) has been pleased with his play," Rockies' announcer Norm Jones said. "He's been playing with a little more confidence every time, even with the nine games out of the lineup. He's been a good, steady defenseman with the club," Jones added, "and coming back from surgery takes time."

Just as long as he's better by the next time he comes to the Garden. He wants Craig, and the rest of the gang, to see him at his best.

* * *

The Harvard hockey team could use a Jackie Hughes right now.

As expected, the icemen had some trouble on defense during Sunday night's season-opening victory at Brown. With only two letterwinners returning from last year's corps of blueliners--and those sophomores--Harvard will have to come up with some solid stoppers from somewhere. The opening night prognosis:

Scott Sangster--Sangster probably played the best game of the crew, but he still had some problems. Yes, he's strong and he is certainly the team's best checker, but at 5-ft., 9-in. and 175 lbs., he can't knock everybody over. When he's intense, he's great, but Sunday night--especially early--he seemed to get lost for entire shifts. Still, he's the best the team has right now.

Mark Fusco--Didn't play one of his best games. Caught out of position a couple of times in the first few shifts, he settled down and played better when the Crimson took the initiative half-way through.

This year, Fusco might have to subdue his style. He's always been an offensive defenseman (13 goals and 16 assists for a team-leading 29 points last year), but as much as this team needs his shot, it may not be able to afford it.

Fusco thinks, however, that the defense is strong enough so he can rush up ice now and then. "I feel," he said yesterday, "the team is as strong defensively as last year and it won't be a problem."

Neil Sheehy--New to the position, and it showed. Sheehy committed some rookie mistakes at Providence, and his lack of speed made them all the more glaring. On the positive side, his affinity to check and his size to make the checks effective will help enormously. And, the mistakes are curable--perhaps experience will be the remedy.

Alan Litchfield--A pleasant surprise, especially early on. While things collapsed around him early in the second period, Litch held on and played fine, solid defense. Something happened to him soon after, however, and his play was shaky the rest of the way. All in all, a good performance from a somewhat surprising starter.

Bill Sztorc and Bob Starbuck--Both freshmen skated only a couple of shifts. Sztorc exhibited some nifty stickhandling in his one run with the puck, and Starbuck looks fast. Too soon to tell.

* * *

The Crimson travels to Northeastern tonight to meet the Huskies (5-16-0 in the ECAC last year) for the first time since the 8-2 Crimson walkover on opening night a year ago. They say this is a different Husky team, and with 12 freshmen on the preliminary roster that's hard to dispute.

But different isn't necessarily better. The Huskies are rarely good (of course, last year's Beanpot was history's notable exception) and coach Fern Flaman is committed to the youngsters. 7:30 p.m. start. See you on the T, sports.