Fencers Rally Against MIT; Score Double Win in Opener

By Andrew C. Karp

Harvard's women fencers staged a rally last night and joined the men's squad in narrowly beating MIT in their season opener at the IAB.

The men won by a single bout, 14-13, with sabreman David Heyman taking three points for the Crimson.

The women's match was even closer. Entering the final bout, the women trailed by a point, 7-8, with freshmen Vivi Fuchs on the line.

"Vivi came through under pressure," Captain Susy Rivets said. "She did an excellent job for us."

Fuchs had to beat her opponent 5-2 in order to give the Crimson the meet, because in case of a tie, the team with the fewest points scored against it is the winner.

Fuchs took the bout 5-1, giving her three victories with only one loss for the meet. Rivets was also 3-1 for the night and junior Carolyn Powell went even at 2-2.

The Crimson failed to get help from the fencers who shared the fourth slot on the team but Rivets said, "That will come with time. Right now we're just lacking some experience."

Click

"We proved that we have three solid fencers," Rivets added. "And that's what's important. I'm really optimistic for the season."

The JV squads also started off with victories, downing the women Engineers, 12-4, and the men, 19-8.

The Crimson will face Southeastern Massachusetts at the IAB on Saturday.