Kiosks, Cont.

THE MAIL

To The Editors of the Crimson:

The Eliot House Committee and the Eliot House Film Society wish to express our displeasure the the recent developments concerning the status of the "kiosk rule." We have several objections we'd like to raise.

First, there is a crucial distinction between simple notification of upcoming events and advertising for the same. The recently instituted newsletter admirably accomplishes the former service, but fails to provide a forum for competitive and effective advertising.

Second, the placement and design of the kiosks is, we assume, a matter that was carefully studied before such a large capital expenditure was made. We must ask for a reevaluation of their effectiveness: the low height, obtuse angles, and innocuous appearance of the kiosks admirably accomplishes what we can only presume to be the administration's intention in approving such a design, namely that the units are all but invisible to the passers-by. We ask also for a recognition of the invisibility of the poster affixed on these structures as well.

Finally, the cost of the kiosks is another issue entirely. While the good appearance of the yard is of mutual concern to both students and administration, we are frankly amazed that the University would choose to spend $40,000 for an "improvement" of questionable aesthetic and practical value. Regardless, it is certainly not legitimate to invoke the reality of the high cost of their installation as an argument to justify the continued enforcement of the monopolistic status of the kiosks as instruments of advertising.

We certainly hope that it is not beyond the administration to acknowledge an error in judgment. Further, we trust that this error will not be compounded by requiring adherence to an ill-founded policy. Several compromise policies have been proposed that we can support in good conscience.

We are agreed that posters should not be permitted in any fashion on the trees and other organic matter in the yard. We are also agreed that posters ought not to be affixed to the outside of any buildings in the yard. Finally, we support any efforts to improve the kiosks through the provision of better maintenance and weatherproofing structures. They are, after all, not beyond help.

We believe that these compromises will contribute to the good appearance of the yard while allowing reasonable and aesthetically acceptable locations for the many notices such a diverse and active student body requires in order to stay informed. Michael J.W. Rennock   President Eliot House Film Society   Michael Simpson   Patti Gadecki   Co-Chairman, Eliot House Committee