Women Cagers Demolish St. Anselm's; Martin, Boutillier Shine in Backcourt

By Paul M. Barrett

Everybody got into the act when the women's basketball team demolished St. Anselm's, 80-46, Saturday afternoon in Manchester, N.H., and upped its overall record to 8-10.

Coach Carole Kleinfelder, who substituted liberally throughout the 31-point trouncing, said yesterday, "It has taken us this long, but we are finally getting together on the court, especially the freshmen."

The Crimson did not take very long to set the pace in Saturday's contest. Displaying the confident shooting that has characterized the team's gutsy struggle toward the .500 mark, the cagers folded, spindled and mutilated a limp St. Anselm's defense.

Freshman guard kate Martin, who began the season playing on the J.V., led the charge with 12 points and smooth ball handling. Nancy Boutillier, another of Kleinfelder's freshman sensations, chipped in ten points of her own.

Crimson co-caption Wendy Carle awed the St.Anselm's squad, muscling her way inside for nine points and terrorizing the boards for seven rebounds.

Nodding Off

Were it not for the efforts of St.Anselm's starters Stephanie Rious and Sharon Dawley, Kleinfelder's charges might have fallen asleep by halftime. But Rioux and Dawley, who combined for a total of 25 points, refused to roll over and play dead, and the Crimson took a mere 11-point lead into the locker room.

The final 20 minutes were a different story altogether. Fueled by an eagerness that only long hours on the bench can yield, the Harvard subs showed no compassion as they bulldozed their tiring opponents into submission.

Despite the Team's vastly improved play over the last couple of weeks, Kleinfelder refuses to make any promises about the upcoming encounters with Northeastern and Boston University. "They're two tough teams, and I just don't know how we will do," she said.

The women's trek back to respectability stalled slightly Sunday morning at the IAB, when Bok's Jocks, an awesome team of University administrators led by none other than Dr. Derek himself, clobbered the hoopsters, 73-52. Although no one kept individual statics, Kleinfelder bashfully admitted afterwards that Bok led all scorers.

Nancy Boutillier's sterling 29-point performance against Princeton Friday tied a four-year-old Crimson scoring record set by Lesley Greis in 1976. Boutillier swished an amazing 14 of 19 attempts from the floor and snared four rebounds in the 73-49 Harvard win.