Students Say WERB Causes Interference

By Wendy L. Wall

WHRB's new transmitter and antenna may provide clear reception along the New Hampshire border, but they are also interfering with radios, tape decks and phonographs in their immediate vicinity, students living in buildings near Holyoke Center said yesterday.

"WHRB comes in at five different points on the dial," Craig F. Hollander '82, a Claverly Hall resident, said yesterday. "Everyone in the building can hear it," he added, saying that even if his receiver is not set to the radio, WHRB comes over the speakers.

Andrew D. Padawer '82, said yesterday, "I was using my tape deck and something else was coming out. At first I couldn't figure out what it was." He was hearing the student-run radio program.

Charles W. Everson '81, also a Claverly resident, said he got the same song on both 97.8 and 93.5 on his FM dial.

As of yesterday students from Claverly, Weld Hall, and Quincy, Lowell and Adams Houses had complained to the radio station.

"It's a standard problem with radio stations," David G. Standaert '82, WHRB's chief engineer, said yesterday. "WBCN covers blocks and blocks of Boston with it, and WBUR has had even more problems," he added.

"We can put on power line filters and advise people on how to solve the problem, but we can't get inside their radios without a technician's license," he added.

WHRB installed a new transmitter and antenna Sunday on top of Holyoke Center. Although the station has not changed its signal strength, the new transmitter produces more energy, and thus causes greater interference