Huskies Tip B.U. In Overtime

By Michael Bass

For Northeastern, it was a Beanpot dream come true.

After losing to Boston University eight straight times in the opening round of the Beanpot, the Huskies finally got their revenge, as they startled the cocky Terriers, 6-5, in overtime last night at the Boston Garden.

Winger John Montgomery's slapshot from just inside the blue line beat Terrier goaltender Bob Barich at 5:09 of the overtime period to clinch the win for the Huskies, and end B.U.'s magical first round dominance in the annual tourney.

The game showcased freshman Huskie goaltender George Demetroulakas, who made outstanding saves time and time again, as the Huskies raised their record to 4-11-0 (3-9-0 ECAC). B.U.'s record dropped to 9-9-0 (6-7-0 ECAC).

Northeastern controlled the tempo of the game early, its only mistake coming at 5:03 of the first period when Husky defenseman Dave Archambault attempted to knock down a centering pass in front of his own net and accidentally sent it past Demetroulakas into the goal giving B.U. a 1-0 lead.

Beginner's Luck

But then the fireworks started for the Huskies as three straight goals by Mark Derby, Sandy Beadle and Wayne Turner, respectively, the last with just 24 seconds left in the first stanza gave N.U. a surprising 3-1 lead.

The second period featured outstanding goalkeeping on the part of both Barich and Demetroulakas and not until 17:46 of the period did Terrier Grant Goegan knock in the first of his three goals of the night to out N.U.'s lead to 3-2.

Only ten seconds into period three Goegan did it again, flipping a backhander by Demetroulakas to knot the score at three.

N.U. came right back to take the lead when a Gerry Cowie wristshot turned on the red light two minutes later, but once again Goegan tied the score for B.U., at 4:08 of the third stanza.

It looked like B.U. had found the old magic when forward Paul Fenton scored into an empty net at 13:27 and B.U. led, 5-4.

But Northeastern bounced back one last time, scoring on a tip-in by Turner at 17:04 of period three, sending the game into overtime and giving the Huskies their chance to knock the archrival Terriers out of the Beanpot in what was a vicious dogfight