Assembly and Bar Plan Happy Hour

By Elizabeth H. Wiltshire

The Student Assembly will organize a happy hour at 33 Dunster Street this week, but the assembly and College officials yesterday disagreed over whether the parties will continue and who should pay for them.

Leslie A. Cornfeld '81, president of the assembly, said yesterday the assembly will run the happy hours on a bi-weekly basis at least until the end of the year, adding that the happy hours will continue until the College establishes a student social center.

Stop Right There

Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, said yesterday, "A series has not been agreed on." He added that he met with Cornfeld last Friday and agreed that "the assembly will have a party at 33 Dunster Street and then we'd examine the issue after that."

Epps said he asked that there be no permanent relationship between a Harvard organization--even a "provisionally recognized" one--and a commercial business.

Drink Up

33 Dunster Street will buy advertising space in local newspapers, print posters for the assembly to distribute, provide student coupons for half-priced drinks, and supply free hors d'oeuvres at the happy hour, James R. Greacen '79, the restaurant's promotion and advertising director, said yesterday. He estimated 33 Dunster Street would spend about $140 on the first party.

Epps said student groups should pay for any activities they sponsor. "It was my understanding it was a function to be held at 33 Dunster Street, not sponsored by 33 Dunster Street," he added.

"This is something that we hope will be institutionalized," Cornfeld said. "One of the main reasons Student Assembly is sponsoring the happy hours is that there is no center for students to congregate," she added.

Cornfeld said she expects 300 to attend Friday's happy hour. The assembly has reserved room at the back of the restaurant to accomodate 100-150 people, Greacen said. 33 Dunster Street seats about 400 people, he added.

Michael J. Urfirer '81, chairman of the assembly's social services committee, said yesterday the assembly will distribute the half-priced coupons in House dining halls Thursday night, but the group may later be able to offer two drinks for the price of one.

"If they (33 Dunster Street) start making an enormous amount of money on this we're going to see if they'll just reduce the prices more," Urfirer said.

Greacen said the restaurant will sell fruit juices and soft drinks and will be "pretty careful about carding people." He said 33 Dunster Street plans a large advertising campaign for the first happy hour, hoping a large turnout will establish a habit among students. "We're not trying to put the Student Assembly out," Greacen added. "All we're asking from them is a little time and effort."

Although the newspaper advertisements will carry the restaurant's logo, the posters will not, Greacen said.

"We certainly aren't filled at that hour, so this is going to help fill our restaurant," he added. "If this works, then good for both of us."

He added that, if the Friday party is not successful and fewer than 75 people show up, the restaurant would probably decrease its efforts, although it would still offer half-priced drinks to Harvard students. Cornfeld said the assembly in that case would absorb the costs necessary to continue the happy hours.

House masters said yesterday the assembly's plans would not affect masters' open houses held on Fridays. "I wouldn't be attracted to it," Kenneth R. Andrews, master of Leverett House, said yesterday. "It's hard for me to think about it as anything of any importance."

Dr. Warren E.C Wacker, master of South House, said yesterday he doesn't consider a student pub or the assembly's happy hours a threat to the Houses' popularity.

"I could be surprised but I don't think it will be a howling success," he added