Bulldogs Dump Women Cagers, 69-44

Crimson Falls in Ivy Tourney

By Paul M. Barrett

The women hoopsters trounced Brown, 77-55, avenging a six-point regular season loss, but then fell to the ferocious Bulldogs of Yale, 69-44, in Ivy Tournament play this weekend at New Haven, Conn.

Although yesterday's semi-final washout against the inhospitable Elis left the Crimson (now 4-5 against Ivy competition and 12-13 overall) looking a bit out of breath, Harvard surprised almost everyone by topping the Bruins on Saturday and qualifying for today's third-place playoff.

Nancy Boutillier led the Crimson charge through, over and around the Brown defense, scoring a game high 22 points and snaring a startling nine rebounds from her point guard's post at the top of the key.

Teaming with fellow freshman playmaker Ann Scannel; Boutillier frequently found forward Karen Smith open under the hoop for easy back door lay-ups and short jumpers. Smith, in one of her best efforts this year, netted 18 points while snatching seven rebounds.

Working a careful offense, the Crimson cruised to a 35-27 half-time lead and coasted to an easy win.

Loose and confident, the Harvard players returned to the Payne-Whitney gym the next afternoon ready to surprise league-leading Yale. The Bulldogs were in no mood for fun and games.

The Deep

After the Crimson had the audacity to jump in front, 6-1, the Bulldogs outscored Harvard 14-5 over the next nine minutes. While the Harvard players mulled over the sudden change of pace, Yale scored 17 unanswered points, good for a 32-11 lead.

None of coach Carole Kleinfelder's backcourt duos could master Yale's stifling full-court press as the Elis converted one turnover after another into easy chippies.

Yale yielded to three quick Harvard baskets before the half-time buzzer, but when the women in blue sank the first six points of the second frame, hopes for a Crimson comeback withered and died.

The Bulldogs, who nailed Harvard, 85-62 a week and half ago, burst the Harvard dream of Ivy glory with the double barreled attack of guard Sue Malone and center Debbie Danner, who combined for 28 points while Danner muscled 14 rebounds out of Crimson hands.

PRO SCORES:

NHL: Montreal 5, Philadelphia 1

New York Rangers 2, Boston 1

New York Islanders 0, Pittsburgh 0

Los Angeles 4, Quebec 3

Buffalo 2, Minnesota 2

NBA: Boston 118, Detroit 115

Philadelphia 144, Golden State 99

Kansas City 94, Houston 91

New Jersey 113, New York 96

Phoenix 123, Los Angeles 115