Ezera Supporters Start Defense Fund

By Brenda A. Rus ell

Students who support the case of Emeka Ezera '81, a Black Harvard student charged with stealing a woman's purse in Boston two weeks ago, will set up tables in the dining halls today to raise for Ezera's defense.

The group, Concerned Students for Emeka Ezera's Defense (CSEED), hopes to raise at least $1000 before the trial begins Thursday. The CSEED coordinator said yesterday the organization has already received over $200 in private contibutions from individuals and groups since Ezera's arrest.

We are asking for support from the Harvard community because we want it no understand what this case means, Ezera said yesterday.

Last week CSEED sent a letter to President Bok requesting "that the University play an active role in support of Emeka Ezera, and participate in his defense."

Two weeks ago CSEED coordinators met with Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel for the University, who said he would contact the MBTA police on Emeka's behalf, Ezera said. Neither Bok nor Steiner could be reached for comment.

Ezera said students involved with CSEED and the Black Students Association plan to present to Bok a list of about 12 racially attributable attacks on Black Harvard students in the Cambridge-Boston area during the past year.

"We will raise questions on the University's role in an atmosphere of racial tension. It's not widespread but it certainly isn't isolated. We want to know what Bok's response is to this," Ezera added.