Laxmen Stun B.C.

Meagher, Pedroni Snag Three

By Michelle D. Healy

The harvard laxmen, refusing to rest on their laurels, once again proved themselves worthy of this week's top position in the New England rankings--earned after Saturday's 12-8 upset of Cornell--as they swept into Alumni field last night and chased the Boston College squad right off with a 16-5 trouncing.

The Crimson's gatling-gun offense wasted no time gaining control. Freshman Brendan Meagher, a talented midfielder from Baltimore, nabbed the first Harvard tally when he snagged a pass from co-captain Pistol Pete Predun at 1:27.

Less than three minutes later Rich Rainald pumped in an unassisted second score for Harvard.

Meagher picked up the second of three for the evening when he pulled a dodge move at 4:11 and rocketed a goal right through Eagle freshman goaltender Mike Phillips.

Then the action turned momentarily and John "the human wall" Lechner had to turn on his quick catlike moves to protect the Crimson twines with an amazing save that barely bumped out B.C.'s first potential score. Lechmer was named Ivy Athlete of the week for his amazing performance over spring break.

After following the save with the usual controlled passes, Mike Davis found Gary Pedroni and the attackman notched the first part of his hat-trick with a backdoor shovel shot. Davis picked up the assist on this one.

With the Crimson up 4-0 half way through the first period, Eagle midfielder Doug Virtue picked off a Henry Thomas feed and sent in a chip shot that barely squeezed by Lechner for the first Eagle tally.

After closing out the period at a 6-1 deficit, B.C. quickly bit the dust for good when the offense poured in four more goals in the next period with only one from the quickly fading Eagles. In the barrage, Meagher whipped through another big one when Stormin' Norm Forbush fed him an arrow-straight pass to pick up another of his game-high four assists.

Down 10-2 at the half, the Eagles turned the majority of their defensive energy to Predum. The three-time All-American bought a goal and three assist for the evening, but more importantly drew the worried Eagle defense away from the rest of the Crimson's potent scoring attack.

While Predun and fellow co-captain Dave Wigglesworth were scooping up the groundballs with eight and ten, respectively, the B.C. squad racked the penalties. Illegal checking and loads of slashing penalties left the home squad shorthanded through most of the game.

"B.C. plays an aggressive game--the wild, out of control stick motion attracts the penalties. Our guys play a more disciplined game and it payed off again," Coach Bob Scalise said last night.