Golfers Triumph in Tri-Meet, Sink Holy Cross and Williams

By Peter T. Zacharia

It was a chilly day to stand sweater-clad on the holy plane, but the Crimson linksters swung a win over Holy Cross and Williams yesterday on the home turf at Brookline Country Club.

Harvard accumulated 404 strokes to Holy Cross's 414 and Williams's 438 to bring its record to 11-6.

The victory supported the boastings of Crimson low-man Carroll "Casper" Lowenstein, who said, "We're by far the better team." Casper shot a six-over-par 77, nabbing birdies on the 11th and 18th holes.

Frequently kissing the ball apparently helped Captain James Dales, whose 78 was second to Lowenstein's. "I was very satisfied with my round," Dales said after the match.

Glen Alexander, an All American high school linkster, tallied an 88, saying, "It was my worst competition score since I was 12."

The Crimson's seven-man squad also included Chip Raffi, John Thompson, Thomas Edwards and Sanjeev "Seeve" Mehra.

"Seeve has been really coming around strong," coach Val Belmonte said after the match. April is a very busy month for students, Belmonte said, adding that schoolwork makes it hard for the golfers to concentrate on their games.

Immediately after their win, the linksters jumped on an Ithaca-bound bus for the Ivy League Championships.

THE NOTEBOOK: Alexander, who is taking MCATs today, will not compete in this weekend's championships... The squad cannot hope for anything more than a third-place finish, most likely finishing behind Yale and Princeton.