Student Punches Woman At Weekend Pi Eta Party

By Wendy L. Wall

An unidentified Harvard student assaulted a sophomore woman Friday night during a Pi Eta club party she and a friend were attending.

"Some guys started shouting obscene propositions at us," Susan C. Morrison '82 said, adding "We went over to the other corner of the room, but they followed us there. I turned around and looked at this guy and he hit me in the face with enough force that I fell flat."

Home

Morrison added that although the room was full of Pi Eta partiers, no one did anything. "I just want to forget it," she added.

Keith L. Oberg '81, president of the Pi Eta said that investigation showed the assailant to be a non-Pi member. Oberg added he did not think the identity of the other students involved in the incident was relevant.

"Appropriate action was taken. The police came and the situation was handled," he said, noting that Morrison had decided not to press charges and left "satisfied."

University officials are currently investigating the incident, the latest in a series of accidents involving the club. A student slipped and was paralyzed from the neck down during the Pi Eta initiation this year. At a previous initiation, another student walked through a plate glass door.

Archie C. Epps III, Dean of Students, refused comment on the incident, but sources said that disciplinary action may be taken.