Princeton's Eating Clubs To Keep All-Male Status

By Grace H. Freedman and The CRIMSON Staff

Because Princeton University's allmale eating clubs are "private social organizations," they may continue to exclude women from their membership, federal offcials said last week.

The Office of Civil Rights of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare (HEW) based its decision on "a technical investigation of the clubs' links to the university," Howard Bing, supervisor in charge of the investigation, said last Thursday.

He added that the clubs' membership practices "are exempt as fraternities under the requirements of Title IX of the Educational Amerndments Act of 1972."

Sally B. Frank, a senior at Princeton, had lodged a complaint with HEW after several clubs denied her membership. She charged both the university and the clubs with, sexual discrimination. Frank said last Thursday that she may appeal the HEW decision.

Fraternities?

"The question to me is whether or not the clubs are fraternities," Frank said, adding that "The university banned fratenities in 1856, so I don't see how they can be called fraternities."

Frank said she wants to join the clubs because she feels she is "very different from the people in them and everyone would benefit from the exchange," and because "all-male clubs foster a sexist atmosphere on campus."

Thomas H. Wright, an attorney for Princeton, said last Thursday that "the only argument on which Frank could appeal would be the distinction that eating clubs are not called fraternities, but that is a slim distinction."

Into the Abyss

But a spokesman for HEW said yesterday he believes this case will create a series of court challenges, including one to the Title IX exemption policy itself.

Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, said last week that Harvard will make no attempt to change the membership policies of finals clubs.

"Men and women are enrolled in the college on an equal basis and therefore the College would have no objection to election of women into the clubs, but the decision is left up to the members." Epps added.

All-male finals clubs are a "tradition at Harvard that probably won't change." C. Arthur Anton '81, president of the Spee Club, said last week. "Why can't women start their own clubs?" he added.