Brandeis Here Today

On the Basepaths

The Crimson hosts Brandeis at 3 p.m. today in yet another meaningless Greater Boston League contest. In case anyone cares, a win this afternoon will probably give the Crimson the GBL title. Maybe there should be a baseball Beanpot.

Meanwhile, the EIBL season heads into its final weekend with Harvard and Cornell tied for the league lead at 8-3. On Friday, the Big Red invades Soldiers Field for a 3 p.m. tilt which could end up deciding the title. Saturday, the Crimson hosts Army in a 1 p.m. twinbill to wrap up the 1980 regular season.

Cornell still has to play Dartmouth, but ECAC sources say the doubleheader will only be played "if necessary." Presumably, if necessary means if Harvard doesn't win or lose all three. Odd.

Rob Alevizos, Ron Stewart and Bill Larson will be coach Alex Nahigian's three starters this weekend, and although he hasn't said yet, Nahigian will probably call on them in that order. Larson is also the scheduled hurler today, but he almost assuredly won't go the whole way. Instead, look for Greg Brown or John Sorich out of the bullpen along about the fifth inning.

Has Danny Bowles won the left field job? "If we face a lefty, he won't be in there," Nahigian said over the weekend, "but against righties he's our leftfielder. For now, anyway."

The official Harvard stats from Sports Information are woefully out of date, but as of last Monday Charlie Santos-Buch led the team with a .338 average, followed by Mark Bingham at .311, Brad Bauer at .301 and Rick Pearce at .284. Bauer's three homers pace the squad, and he also owns the club lead in RBIs with 16, one ahead of Bingham. Remember, this doesn't include the UMass, B.C. and Tufts games.

The Crimson has compiled an excellent 3.29 team earned run average, while rapping opposition pitchers to the tune of 4.50 earned runs per game. In addition, Harvard sports a .245 team batting average as opposed to .225 for its opponents.

EIBL Standings

Cornell 8-3

HARVARD 8-3

Yale 9-4

Navy 9-5

Penn 7-4

Army 5-6

Princeton 5-9

Brown 4-9

Columbia 3-10

Dartmouth 2-7