Pro Roundup

The New England Patriot defense came through for a change, shutting down the Houston Oiler air and ground attacks, as the Pats won their second game of the season, 28-10.

The Patriots picked off four Ken Stabler passes and stymied the Oiler rushing game by holding Earl Campbell to just 86 yards on 27 carries. A 17-point third-quarter outburst--featuring two Steve Grogan touchdown passess--put the game away for the Pats.

In Minnesota, the Philadelphia Eagles became the final team to lose its undefeated status, as the Vikings shocked Dick Vermeil's gang, 35-23. Minnesota quarterback Tommy Kramer passed for 246 yards to lead the Vikings to their fifth straight victory.

The Oakland Raiders, though ending their embarrassing, record-setting streak of three games without scoring, almost disgraced themselves further by wasting a 15-0 halftime lead over Tampa Bay. The Raiders needed a 44-yd. field goal from Chris Bahr to edge the Bucs, 18-16.

'The Pittsburgh Steelers' four-game winning streak ended with a crushing 34-7 loss to AFC Central division leaders, the Cincinnati Bengals, while the NFC's early season upstart, the San Francisco 49ers, maintained their Western Division lead with a 13-3 victory over the Green Bay Packers.

In New York, the Jets reached the .500 mark with a 33-14 upset of the Buffalo Bills, and the Giants sport a 4-3 record after trouncing the Seattle Seahawks, 32-0.

In other pro sports action, rain in Montreal postponed the fifth and deciding game of the National League playoffs. The Dogers send ace rookie Fernando Valenzuela to the mound to face the Expos' Ray Burris today. The rainout faces today's winner to travel to New York to face the Yankees tomorrow night without the benefit of a previously scheduled travel date.