End of an Odyssey

On the day that University administrators and members of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology finally gathered to dedicate the department's new building, work still remained on labs and office space in the structure. The irony was lost on few who attended.

The construction of the Sherman Fairchild Biochemistry Building caps 14 checkered years of efforts by the department to secure a home of its own. Twice the University scotched plans for sizable structures because of inability to procure funds--leading Mark S. Ptashne, chairman of the department, to refer to its having been "cruelly denied" in the past.

When Biochemistry achieved department status in 1967, it commissioned renowned architect Marcel Breuer to design a structure for the department. Breuer's plans called for a building fully twice as large as the Fairchild structure.

Optimistic about the prospects of getting its own building, Biochemistry even used the structure as bait to attract faculty. Jack L. Strominger, professor of Biochemistry since 1968, recalls that the building "was held out as an incentive to me in 1966." But it was not to be.

The "alarums and excursions of the late 1960s," in Ptashne's words, quickly dried up a science fund drive that had just gotten underway. That, Ptashne says, was "denial number one."

In 1974, plans for a large wing adjacent to the Biology labs went nowhere after potential government fund-donors insisted that Harvard first hire new professors for the building. Problem was, those same professors demanded guarantees that the University had procured funding for the new building it had promised--a classic catch-22. Denial number two.

For the next five years or so--during which Strominger says the idea of a building "was dormant"-Biochemistry professors remained in their scattered offices. Some were in the well-equipped Conant Labs, but others were forced to work out of the crowded. Biology facilities--which professors say suffer from water, heating and air-conditioning problems.

So when the Fairchild Foundation tendered its offer of $5 million, the department leapt at the offer. One professor, President Bok says, went so far as to tell him, "You either have a new building or you have no Biochemistry department."

The Big Leagues

The vision of a spacious and well-equipped new building, department members say, was crucial in attracting Thomas Maniatis, professor of Biochemistry, here this year. Maniatis, in fact, was by far the first professor to move into the unfinished building late last winter.

But even now, with nine of ten professors--and their entourages of about 16 aides--ensconced in Fairchild, the department's curse of counting its facilities before they've been erected seems to have returned.

A carpenter's strike last summer set back construction some 3-4 weeks, leaving unfinished four of each professor's 16 lab benches, Harry W. Orf, director of the biochemical laboratories, says.

In addition, one full professorial suite--approximately 3,000 to 3,500 square feet--remains "shelled," or functionally bare. And though transporting delicate scientific equipment went smoothly, some eight lab chairs vanished while being moved to Fairchild.

No Numbers Game

In spite of this dubious legacy, department members praise the cooperation that has prevailed within the group. Little jostling for desirable spaces in Fairchild has taken place--in part because all suites are similar, and in part because some spaces were parceled out long ago.

Most seem pleased to finally have a building for themselves--and are willing to bet that, when builders put the final touches on Fairchild around Christmastime, Biochemistry's 14-year odyssey will have come to an end