Icemen Kill Big Green, 11-1, in Season Opener

Freshman Scott Fusco Nabs Hat Trick

By Bruce Schoenfeld, Special to The Crimson

HANOVER, N. H.--Freshman Scott Fusco scored a hat trick in his first regular-season game, and brother Mark chipped in two goals and four assists as the Harvard hockey team opened its 1981-82 season with a bang here at Thompson Arena last night, ripping Dartmouth, 11-1.

The red-haired centerman teamed with sophomore Gary Martin to tally a goal in each period to lead the Crimson to its first win over the Green in seven outings, and its biggest over anybody since a 10-0 pasting of St. Lawrence four years ago.

The Right Attitude

"I didn't expect a hat trick," Scott Fusco said after the game, "but in my first game [a 5-3 exhibition victory over the University of Lowell earlier this month] I should have had a couple, so I was looking forward to this one."

And although it must be pointed out that this is a Dartmouth team that lost nine lettermen to graduation, including former All-Ivy netminder Bob Gaudet and flashy forward Rick Wilson, the icemen have not dominated any game--much less a season opener--like this in a long time.

"I don't remember when," said Harvard coach Bill Cleary, "but it sure feels good."

After Dartmouth's Shaun Teevens put the Green ahead, 1-0, three minutes into the game, Harvard beat freshman goalie Chip Kuzborski five times within ten minutes to take a four-goal lead.

The first was a Greg Olson special that tied the contest less than a minute after Teeven's goal. Olson picked up a Brad Kwong pass just outside his own blue line, accelerated past Joe Jangro, and flipped the puck home at 4:01.

Collusion?

Just 55 seconds later, Shayne Kuklowicz scored on a wrist shot from the top of the face-off circle to Kuzborski's left. Add power-play tallies from Ken Code and Scott Fusco and a shorthanded effort by Greg Britz (set up by Olson) and the Crimson had a 5-1 lead before the first chorus of "Men of Dartmouth."

The freshmen combined for two second-period goals before Big Green coach George Crowe lifted Kuzborski in favor of sophomore Tom Martinson. With Mark Fusco and Dartmouth's Tom Cross in the penalty box, the younger Fusco recovered a loose puck behind the home net, and dumped it to Chalmers in the slot, who scored his first varsity goal just 1:06 into the third period.

Ready

Chalmers returned the favor five minutes later, setting up behind Kuzbordki and then feeding Fusco in front of the net. The Yardling picked up his fourth point of the night by flipping the puck through the netminder's legs.

Martinson's third period was much like Kuzborski's first. Mark Fusco scored his first two goals of the season to make the score 9-1, and his brother completed the hat trick off a Code pass at 14:23. Kukulowicz finished the scoring with a wrist shot at 16:47.

NOTEBOOK: Wade Lau stopped 30 shots in the Harvard net before giving way to Steve Better, who played the last six minutes with his father in the stands and recorded two saves... The three stars awarded by the Boston media were Scott Fusco, Kukulowicz and Mark Fusco.

...The icemen next see action Friday night, when they open their home season against Colgate. Saturday night, RPI is in town, and if you miss that one, it'll be 1982 before you see the Crimson at the Bright Center... In other ECAC action, Boston College came from behind to defeat Princeton, 5-4, in overtime in the season opener for both clubs.