Holiday Wishes of Harvard Jocks

On the Beat

As gift-giving and Secret Santas proliferate on the campus these days, "On the Beat" asked some of Harvard's athletes what they would like to receive for Christmas. Following are some of the more printable of the responses: JIM CALLINAN, Harvard's leading football rusher--To play the Yale Game again; SCOTT POWERS, men's ice hockey--To play in the NBA; ANITA RIVAL, women's swimming--A backrub and an "A" in Chemistry; STEVE FLACH, football kicker--It depends who his Secret Santa is; ROY ROBERTS, rugby captain--Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men and women; DEBBIE KALISH, women's tennis--a year's supply of coffee frappes and bagels with cream cheese from the Eliot House Grille; TERRY FRICK women's swimming--a goldfish; DAVE COATSWORTH. Classics concentrator and men's volleyball--To see Reagan impeached; LAMAR FLATT, men's basketball--A bag of tricks and a behind the back pass like Calvin Dixon's while looking into the stands: CALVIN DIXON, men's basketball--A partridge in a pear tree: GWEN GORMAN, co-captain of women's swimming--To have her whole thesis written: LILY PEW women's field hockey, squash and lacrosse--A Walkman tape player; JOE CARRABINO, men's basketball--A 450 SL convertible and a 14-inch vertical leap; TIM PENDERGAST, men's lacrosse--A dinner out; TANIA HUBER women's ice hockey--A new kneecap; CHRIS MITCHELL, men's basketball-Playing time; TRACY KIMMEL, women's ice hockey goalie: Unlimited studio recording time and a hockey sweater; ANITA DIAZ, women's track--A breakfast in bed of bagels, cream cheese, coffee and a newspaper, LIZ WARD, women's ice hockey--A 1000-goal season; MAUREEN GILDEA, women's swim team co-captain--A new knee; MAUREEN FINN, women's field hockey co-captain--$10,000 for lacrosse and a good stick; LENNY YAJIMA, women's track--Nothing--she has everything she wants.

* * *

Most games, men's basketball coach FRANK MCLAUGHLIN can be seen stamping and stomping up and down the sidelines, exhorting his team to be quicker on defense and to go harder to the boards. But recently, assistant coach RICH DUCKET has been the one on his feet, with McLaughlin felled by a bad back. Frank isn't taking the situation lightly, and submitted to acupuncture yesterday afternoon. "And if that doesn't work, I'll try a hypnotist," he says. His brother TOM MCLAUGHLIN--who coaches the UMass squad that the Crimson will face this afternoon--figures he understands his elder brother's motivations for testing out the ancient Eastern art; "He's getting acupuncture tomorrow? He'll do anything to win that game," the younger sibling says.

* * *

Junior BOB MCCABE is perpetually off in another world because he is attached to his Walkman tape player, his teammates kid him, 22 hours a day; the only two hours without it are practice time. "He'd wear it in games if the coaches would let him," one teammate chuckles...

Sophomore forward CHRIS MITCHELL--also known as "Psycho"--has been going bald lately. Although his teammates love to rib him about it, he maintains that it's his high forehead that makes everyone talk about his receding hairline...

* * *

Four of the top women's squash players--LAURA KAYE, JACKIE CORRIGAN, DIANE STALEY, and MARY HULBERT-- will not be travelling to Bowdoin today to play in the collegiate match. They are ensconced in Princeton, New Jersey, at the moment competing against 16 of the country's top players at a top-flight invitational tournament. Normally only two Crimson members attend,but with the depth on this year's squad, twice that number were asked to play...The rest of the squad travelling to Maine today have sugar plums dancing in their heads--a stop at L.L. Bean is expected for last-minute shoppers...Team member LILI PEW received an innovative Secret Santa gift at dinner Thursday night when four Kirkland House residents inhaled helium from balloons and sang her Christmas songs in high-pitched voices at dinner.