Men, Women Thinclads Triumph in Runaways

Murrer Sparks Brown Slaughter

By Becky Hartman

The only thing about Saturday's meet against Brown that disappointed coach Bill McCurdy was that his team's singing hadn't improved. After beating Brown, 103-42, the Harvard men's indoor track team gave its usual off-key rendition of "10,000 Men of Harvard" and showed no signs of having learned the melody yet.

That was the first wrong thing Harvard did the entire afternoon, after completely dominating Brown by taking a total of ten first places and managing to get second and third in the races they lost.

The thinclads overpowered Brown despite even more additions to their injury list. Joining Adam Dixon, Gus Udo and Brad Bunney in the ranks of the walking wounded were Kim Stephens, Peter Johnson and Peter Jelley. Mark Henry was also unable to compete in any events other than the hugh jump.

Crimson long jumpers got the afternoon off to a good start by sweeping their event. James Johnson came in first with a leap of 22 ft. 11 in., followed by teammates Shawn Hall and Rob Taylor. Hall and Taylor also took first and second place in the triple jump, respectively.

In the 1500, it wasn't until the last few laps that it became apparent that Harvard was going to win. Brown's Robert DeVido took the lead as soon as the gun went off, followed closely by Crimson thinclads Eric Schuler, Bruce Weber and Scott McNulty, DeVido stretched out his lead and seemed to be in control of the race, but with three laps to go, Weber spurted by DeVido to gain the lead.

He wasn't out in front for long, though. Teammate Schuler really poured it on at the end and moved from fourth place to second in less than a quarter of a lap. As they came down the stretch, Schuler and Weber were running neck and neck, but as the finish line drew closer, Schuler outkicked Weber and took first place with a time of 3:56.8.

Scott Murrer had himself another outstanding meet, winning the 500 and anchoring the mile relay team. Brown runner Arnold West led for most of the 500, with the Crimson's Steve Ezeji-Okoye breathing down his neck. Murrer was in third until the last lap of the race. Then coming off the first turn, he passed West and Ezeji-Okoye but could not shake them off. Murrer finished first at a 1:04.4 clip, while Ezeji-Okoye edged out West to take second.

To cap off the afternoon, Murrer came from way back to give the Crimson mile relay team a victory. After getting the hand off from Jim Herberich, Murrer tried to pass Brown's anchorman West, whom he had just beaten in the 500, but was unable to keep up with him. With just steps to go, Murrer came out of nowhere and passed West to be the first to break the ribbon.

Dwayne Jones took both short distance events--the 55-meter sprint and the 300--blowing the other runners away while the Harvard duo of Andrew Regan and Andrew Gerken led the pack in the the 3000 with times of 8:44.0 and 8:46.4, respectively. In the field events, Brown took first in the 35-lb. weight throw, with Al Quintero taking second and Tom Sculer in third. Dave Randall took first in the pole vault with a leap of 13 ft. 8 in., while an injured Mark Henry's 6-ft., 8-in. leap won the high jump.