Weinstock Obituary

Gerard Weinstock '39, of Larchmont, N.Y., who helped establish the Harvard University Center for Jewish Studies and served as vice chairman of the New York major gifts committee for the Harvard fund raising effort, died of cancer January 22. He was 61 years old.

Because of his feeling that "it would be well for Harvard to have more Jewish studies," Weinstock chaired the fund drive to create the Center for Jewish Studies, Albert H. Gordon '23, said yesterday.

With his wife, Margaret, he also endowed a professorship to bring scholars to the center.

At the dedication of this center, Bok noted Weinstock's devotion. "It would be simply unbearable to be responsible for a university that disappointed Gerry's expectations," Bok said.

"Weinstock was one of the most sensitive, gentle and understanding of human beings," David Aloian '49, director of the Associated Harvard Alumni, said yesterday.

In addition to his fund raising activities, Weinstock was the director of the Associated Harvard Alumni from 1975 to 1977 and served on the nominating committee for Overseers and Directors in 1978.

He was also chairman of the board of the American Jewish Committee, its former national treasurer, and co-chairman of its Mid-East task force.