Local Church Asks for Aid For Atlanta

By Constance M. Laibe

At least one Cambridge congregation shares the horror that has gripped Atlanta in the wake of the mysterious disappearances and murders of more than 20 Black children.

The Rev. Leroy Attles, pastor of St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church, said yesterday his church has circulated petitions and plans a fast next Sunday to coincide with a student march in Atlanta protesting the killings--all of which remain unsolved.

The petition calls for increased federal aid to Atlanta in the investigation of the deaths, all of which have occurred in the past year.

Following Vice President George Bush's visit to Atlanta last month, the city received $1 million in federal aid, Attles noted. However, "the position we take is that in the matter of the lives of our young people, there is no cost that is too great," he added.

The situation in Atlanta has created some fear among local children. "People in our church have told me of their children's asking whether it can happen here." Attles said, adding. "There is indeed an awareness that this killing is going on."