Harvard Tenants Blast Maintenance, Rent Levels

Newly Formed Group Issues List of Priorities

More than 60 members of the newly formed Harvard Tenants Union gathered last night at the Cambridge Public Library to protest rent increases and alleged substandard housing conditions.

The tenants--all of whom live in Harvard-owned buildings-formed the union this winter in response to what they call inadequate maintenance of rental housing and rent increases of up to 50 per cent by Harvard Real Estate, Inc., Michael H. Turk, coordinator of the tenants union, said yesterday.

More on the Floor

At the meeting, the union issued a list of its major priorities, which include:

* A rollback of a fall 1980 rent increase which union members said Harvard Real Estate justified on grounds of increased property taxes;

* A halt to a planned rent increase this spring, which Turk said may be as much as 25 per cent;

* Safe, well maintained, energy efficient buildings; and

* Tenant-landlord "codetermination" of major building policies and decisions.

Turk said that the rent increases have been unjustified and charged the Harvard Real Estate with "shirking its responsibilities to pass on savings from lower tax assessments to the tenants."

"On many of its 100 rent controlled buildings, Harvard has received cash abatements and lower property tax assessments while claiming that it was raising rent to cover higher property taxes. This discrepency amounts to about half a million dollars," Turk said. "Part of the responsibility for this scandal also lies with the rent control board for not properly doing its homework," he added.

Lewis Armistead, Harvard's community relations representative, said last night he found the charges against Harvard Real Estate "difficult to believe." He refused to comment on the tenant union's claims of substandard housing. Sally Zeckhauser, president of HRE, and Lorraine Wade, tenant relations director for HRE, were unavailable for comment.

Tenants also charged that Harvard Real Estate refused to properly maintain its rented housing and that it is unresponsive to tenant complaints. Lorraine L. Iritano, one of the organizers of the union, said conditions in her building at 22 Prescott State have become "deplorable" since Harvard Real Estate began managing the building.

Leo Manis, another Prescott street resident, said yesterday "Since my building was bought by Harvard in 1968, nothing got done until we brought in the local Health Department. That was in 1978. Today conditions are not much better. They are milking the property."

Another resident, who asked not to be named, said yesterday "we are not even getting housing that meets legal standards. Water should run."

Several other residents have also charged Harvard Real Estate with unethically attempting to prevent tenants from exercising their rights.

Howard P. Ramseur, media director of the Harvard Tenants Union, told the gathering of the need for further organization. "Harvard created Harvard Real Estate to make a profit, and they are making a great profit by not maintaining our homes. I don't think we can turn to Harvard for help," he added.