A small chemical fire broke out at about 9 p.m. last night in the Gordon McKay physics laboratory, but firemen quickly extinguished the blaze, which caused no serious injuries or damage.
The fire began in the fume hood of a fifth-floor research lab and burned for several minutes only inches away from several cylinders of toxic gases until Sula Oguz a graduate student working in the next room, discovered it.
After failing to put out the blaze himself. Oguz called Harvard police, who notified the Cambridge fire department.
Oguz checked into Stillman Infirmary, fearing he had inhaled some of the toxic gases, but a colleague said he was "apparently okay" late last night.
William Paul. McKay Professor of Applied Physics, said after the incident "We were lucky to get [the fire] when we did." because "it would have been damned dangerous" if any of the cylinders of toxic gas had exploded.
Firefighters Struggle To Control Electrical Fire in Crate & BarrelWhile many students spent yesterday afternoon outside enjoying the sunny, 60-degree weather, firefighters experienced temperatures that soared into the hundreds
Building Catches Fire in CambridgeDarlene D. Lin '97 was catching up on some reading in her Leverett House dorm room. Then her pager went
Early Morning Blaze In A-Entry of Adams Inflicts Little DamageA fire of undetermined but suspicious origin erupted in Adams House A entry early yesterday morning. The blaze itself caused
Grease Pot Causes Lowell House Fire"We missed lunch, but we'll be back serving tonight, High Table and all," commented kitchen steward Pete Bowers on yesterday
Blaze in Lowell Damages RoomCharred debris stained the snow in the courtyard of Lowell House yesterday after a fire broke out there early yesterday
Firelet on Holyoke StreetFire burning between the walls slightly damaged a rooming house at 20 Holyoke Street yesterday afternoon. Responding to an alarm