...And The Answers

1. Mike Schmidt. 48: Ben Ogilvie. 41: Reggie Jackson. 41: Gorman Thomas. 38: Tony Armas. 35: Bob Horner. 35: Dale Murphy. 33: Eddie Murray. 32: John Matberry. 30. 2. "The Barber" Sal Maglie. 3. Cesar Tovar and Bert Campaberis. 4. Rod Carew. Pete Rose. Johnny Bench. Fred Lynn. 5. Cincinnatti's Ray Knight. 6. Lee Lacy. 7. Sandy Koufax. Denny McClain. Jim Palmer. 8. Bobby Bonds. 189 in 1970 9. Catfish Hunter: Minnesota. 4-0 10. Walter Johnson. Gaylord Perry. Bob Gibson. Nolan Ryan. 11. Phillies. Pete Rose. Bake McBride. Gary Matthews: Braves: Bob Horner. Chris Chambliss. John "the Count" Montefusco. 12. Vida Blue. 1971. 13. the St. Louis Cardinals. 4-0 14. Willie Stargell broke Mickey Mantle's record of 1711 in 1978. 15. In 1967. Jim Lonborg of the Red Sox struck out 246 batters to win the crown. and in 1971. the Tigers' Mickey Lolich fanned 308 for the title. 16. Jim Kaat. 42. is now pitching for the St. Louis Cardinals. 17. The Green Letter. 18. Eddie Cicotte of the 1919 Chicago White Sox pitched 300 innings that year, but he was banned from baseball for life when he helped throw the World Series to the Reds. 19. Bill Virdon of Houston. Frank Howard of San Diego and Frank Robinson of San Francisco. 20. Mickey Rivers [210] and Al Oliver [209] of the Texas Rangers. 21. In 1905. every game of the Fall Classic was a shutout. Christy Matthewson of the victorious Giants won three of the contests. His teammate "Iron Man" Joe McGinity and Chief Bender of the Philadelphia A's threw the other shutouts. 22. Luke Appling won two titles for the Pale Hose with a .388 average in 1936 and .328 mark in 1943. 23. Richie Zisk of the visiting Chicago White Sox. 24. Lou Piniella of the Yankees and Marty Pattin of the Royals. 25. Ron Reed played with the Detroit Pistons: Bob Gibson. 26. Stan Musial and Nate Colbert. 27. Claude Passeau. 28. Danny Murtaugh of hte Pittsburgh Pirates. 29. Matty and Jesus Alou: Denny and Brian Doyle: Lee and Carlos May. 30. Lou Brock and Bake McBride of the 1974 St. Louis Cardinals. Brock stole 118 that year, and McBride pilfered 30. Last season LeFlore stole 97 while Scott stole 63. 31. No. 37 of the Cardinals is Keith Hernandez: No. 23 of the Mets is Doug Flynn: No. 42 of the Rangers is George "Doc" Medich: No. 2 of the Twins is John Castino: No. 10 of the Royals is Clint Hurdle. 32. M. Donald Grant, later the President of the Board of the New York Nets, the team which replaced the Giants in the Big Apple. 33. Danny McDevitt. 34. The Chicago White Sox: Dave DeBusschere. 35. Johnny Callison. 36. Dusty Rhodes of the Giants and Hank Majeski of the Indians. 37. Bobo Newsom. 16: Tommy Davis. 11: John Joseph Doyle. 10: Deacon McGuire. 10: Bob Miller. 10. 38. The Dodgers Carl Erskine. 39. Philadelphia second baseman Manny Trillo. 40. 47-year-old Jack Quinn of the 1930 A's.

BONUS QUESTION: Joe Early was Bill Veeck's night watchman in Cleveland. Veeck threw a "Good Old Joe Early Night" for his employee after he complained that only ballplayers who didn't need gifts were lavished with them on special days and nights.

Grades: Over 300: Honors: 250-300: You'll pass: 200-300: Wait until the Ad Board hears about this: Under 200: You'll probably graduate summa because you certainly aren't wasting any time reading the sports page.

The Crimson trivia quiz was compiled by Michelle D. Healy. Bruce Schoenfeld, Gwen Knapp, Jeffrey R. Toobin and James S. McGuire.