Meanwhile

Bone Replacement, Commencement Protest, Non-Discrimination

Researchers at the Medical School and the Children's Hospital Medical Center last week announced that they had perfected a method for inducing bone growth by using crushed cadaver bones instead of bones removed from patients' bodies. Osteoinduction--the name of the new process--should be 100-per-cent effective, compared to grafting's success rate of 65 per cent, Julie Glowacki, head of the research team that developed the new process and an associate in surgery at the Med School, said last week. Using the new process, doctors implant demineralized bone matter into the site where bone growth is desired. The implant then causes existing non-skeletal tissue cells to change into skeletal tissue cells.

* * *

The senior class committee Tuesday voted to endorse the Commencement protest proposed by several members of the Harvard/Radcliffe Committee on El Salvador (COES) by wearing green and white sashes during the ceremonies. After an hour-long meeting and a "very heated" discussion, the committee members agreed by a 12-9 vote to approve the sash protest, symbolizing objection to brutality in Central America and Atlanta. The decision was made despite doubts several members had about the committee's right to take an official stand on a political or social statement. They agreed, as individuals to endorse the protest and a refugees relief fund the COES members are supporting.

* * *

The Gay Students Association (GSA) did not get from the Faculty Council quite what it wanted--adoption of a proposal calling on the University to forbid discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. Instead, the council this week agreed to discourage harassment against gay people on campus and to reaffirm non-discrimination in admissions policy. Although the council took no formal vote on the proposal--for which GSA members lobbied at the council's meeting last week--a straw vote showed broad support among council members for including a statement in material distributed to potential applicants to the College saying that Harvard does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation in admissions.