University Tenants Cite Energy Waste

Ask Bok for Better Maintenance

By Andrew C. Karp

The Harvard Tenants Union (HTU) Monday sent President Bok the results of a survey on energy consumption and heating in University-owned apartment buildings, which it said demonstrated a "gross form of mismanagement" by Harvard Real Estate (HRE).

"The typical Harvard tenant lives in an overheated and drafty apartment: the energy consumed to heat the apartment goes out the window," the letter to Bok states.

According to the survey, 78 per cent of the 184 responding tenants said their apartments are "overheated at times" and 43 per cent said they experienced "wild fluctuations in temperature."

Preliminary findings from the study were submitted to the Cambridge Rent Control Board last month. Board members suggested sending the data to Harvard.

In the letter to Bok, HTU states that "simple and routine maintenace would go far in reducing the substantial--and on occasion, massive--energy waste we have described."

The HTU letter contends that "simple and routine maintenance" such as weatherstripping, caulking, and care of furnaces and boilers would "substantially" reduce energy waste.

The HTU asked Bok to conduct a review of HRE's maintenace policy and to make public HRE studies on energy consumption in Harvard properties.

Bok could not be reached for comment yesterday, but Robert Silverman, vicepresident of HRE, said last week that the maintenance improvements HTU is seeking "could be done," but they would "only be a cheap, interim solution."

"We have begun looking at energy usage and have decided that the best longterm solution is to replace whole windows," Silverman said. HRE recently installed thermopane windows at 50-52 Trowbridge Street at a cost of $44.675 which was passed on to tenants through increased rents approved by the rent board.

"Our suggestions have been proven to reduce energy waste in the long run, not just the short-term." Michael Turk, HTU coordinator, said yesterday. By emphasizing capital improvements such as window replacement. HRE can legally increase rents without performing necessary maintenance. Turk said.

Shirking

HRE's position "is a way of shrugging aside all the maintenance problems that have built up over the years without admitting they made mistakes." Turk said.

"Most of the buildings Harvard owns now were not purchased until the 1960s and most of the deferred maintenance occurred before then," Silverman said. He added that HRE will continue making capital improvements to reduce energy waste and seeking subsequent rent adjustments through the rent board.

Rent Board members told HTU representatives last month that the board is currently compiling a list of the city's buildings ranked in order of energy usage. The board plans to refuse to pass on increased fuel costs in buildings near the top of the list in order to persuade landlords to make energy saving improvements.

"There are a lot of Harvard buildings at the high end of the list," rent board member Arthur Cohen said, adding, "but Harvard is now pursuing the problem vigorously and we expect them to soon move past other buildings in the city" in energy efficiency.

Harvard is one of the few Cambridge landlords that can afford the major renovations needed to reduce fuel consumption, Cohen added.

Maintenance of Harvard properties has deteriorated in recent years. Turk said, because HRE now employs fewer building superintendents.

Silverman said. "The level of service is not related to the number of people you have out there, but how skilled and motivated they are," adding that maintenance by HRE had improved as a result of new personnel.

HTU's survey found that only 14 per cent of tenants responding to the survey lived in apartments with storm windows: 85 per cent of the tenants reported that their windows are not weathertight: 67 per cent said they had to open windows during the heating season as a "last resort" to control excessive heat: and 28 per cent said they could not turn off their radiators when the heat grew excessive