A Rare Treat

To the Editors of The Crimson:

A funny thing happened to me in the Harvard Freshman Union.

We all know that the food in the Freshman Union is not of the best quality, but until yesterday, January 8, I thought that it was at least food--and therefore edible (regardless of the taste). I was wrong.

Yesterday I decided to have "chicken florentine" soup and some toast for lunch. I sat down and took a spoonful of the soup. I was about to eat it when I noticed something strange on my spoon. It looked sort of like a large gray noodle. I had never seen a gray noodle before, so I looked more closely at this substance, and discovered that it was actually a piece of cardboard. This was rather disturbing. You see, when I left in August to come here, cardboard was not considered food. I suspect that cardboard is still not considered food, but it apparently is served in the Union now.

So I was wrong. That stuff they serve us in the Union is not necessarily food, and is therefore quite possibly inedible. Ah well, only one semester of Union food left, then we move into Houses where the meals might be edible...Kathryn Partridge '85